Saturday, September 27, 2008

rice pizza

I saw this post about 'doughless pizza' a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to try it ever since. It was actually scheduled for this past Wednesday night, but for various reasons I just got around to doing it now. The essential process is to take some rice (I cooked 1 cup of jasmine, used about 3/4s of the pot), mix it with an egg, press it down, add toppings (sliced tomato and diced onion), and then spread some mozzarella cheese over the top and bake the results. For some reason I was thinking I'd be better off baking it at a low temperature to cook the tomato properly, but obviously that was dumb, and I wound up turning the oven way up at the end to crisp things properly, which kind of didn't work. Also I didn't really know what to add for seasoning, so I kind of wimped out. So on the whole it wasn't great - but it did taste like potential.

Next time - and quite possibly next week, because this was really easy to make - I'm going to do it again. This time I'm going to mix oregano and pressed garlic in with the rice and egg. I'm going to chop the tomato very fine so it will cook quickly, and on top of the mozzarella I'll add something with a little flavor, maybe a nice sharp cheddar or some Monterey Jack or maybe both, if I still have both in the fridge. Then I'm going to cook the whole lot at 400 for about 15 minutes and see if that doesn't come out a lot better.

In the mean time, what I do have is going in the wok tomorrow with some teriyaki and I bet the whole mess will come out pretty well.

No comments: