Wednesday, September 10, 2008

mystery soup

So, once the chicken was picked clean and the meat all portioned out for its various purposes, I decided to boil the rest in to stock, as suggested by The Paupered Chef. In to the pot went everything that remained of the chicken, along with some raw bits I'd frozen after removing them from a batch of boneless skinless breasts a few week ago, and some miscellaneous veggie bits I'd stashed in the freezer (as per the comments on the post linked above). I wound up simmering it for the better part of four hours, then strained it as instructed, then like a dolt I put it straight in the freezer instead of giving it fridge time to separate properly. It still came out okay, although I suspect a lot fattier than it should have, but I wound up just using it as a basis for soup.

Now, in our freezer we had a bag of red meat, several months old, that we were unable to name. This is not as alarming as it sounds - Erin's family frequently comes by bulk meats, including several deer during hunting season and the occasional cow that they order (I'm not making this up), so we knew that it was edible, and we could see that it was not freezer burned. However, we had no idea what it was. So I decided the only thing to do was simply put it in a crock pot and hope for the best. This theory turned out to be fairly sound, especially when we realized that it had been sliced as stew meat already. So I floured it and browned it and tossed in in the crock pot with the usual assortment of celery, carrots, potato, chickpeas, bell pepper, green onions, sweet onion, and so forth. The stock went in as well, minus what fat had separated to the top, as did some rice vinegar and four cups of water.

So it turns out it was beef stew! Who knew? I like the way the chicken stock worked out, although the finished product does have a tendency to gel back up in the fridge. The flavors work well together. This is also my first successful beef stew.

It has occurred to me during this process that I don't actually know any other uses for chicken stock - does anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: