Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chicken "French"

Erin wanted to make Chicken French this weekend, but things happen, as they tend to do, and we wound up not cooking Friday or Saturday, and Sunday she had schoolwork to catch up on, so I decided to give it a try. When we went hunting for the ingredients last weekend, I found a half dozen somewhat complex recipes and one really simple one, which I used for an ingredient list, and then forgot to bookmark. Of course I was not able to find it again today. So I just did what I was probably going to wind up doing anyway - I read over the half dozen complex versions, figured out the basics, and just went with what made sense.

So I started with chicken breasts, sliced them in to strips, pounded the strips out, floured them, dipped them in egg, and fried them. The leftover egg (not much) went in to the pan as well. I grated some extra sharp cheddar on to the top because some of the recipes wanted me to use cheese - specifically parmesan, which I didn't have. This wound up being an empty gesture, I think, because I couldn't really taste it in the finished product, but no matter. Into a small dish I poured about a quarter cup of sherry and maybe a teaspoon of lemon juice - I wish I could be more exact but I was just kind of eyeballing it anyway - which I then spooned lightly over the chicken breasts after I had flipped them. A few minutes later, with half the dish remaining, I decided to flip them again and dump the rest in, and then added more lemon (maybe another teaspoon) more or less on a whim.

At this point I panicked, because I realized that like a total buffoon I had forgotten to prepare anything to go with the chicken! I started a pot to boil for green beans, and began wracking my brain for a starch. Fortunately we had some leftover jasmine rice in the fridge, which I wound up just tossing in the skillet with the chicken, and fiddling with the whole lot while the beans cooked. The end result was, I'm afraid, kind of an ugly mess.

Fortunately we're not much for ceremony around these parts, so we ate it anyway, and it turned out to be really quite tasty. Much of the sherry and lemon had cooked off, so the flavoring was very subtle, which on the whole I think I prefer. The only thing that displeased me was the consistency of the coating, which did not at any point in the cooking process match what I've gotten when I ordered the dish in a restaurant, but since my version was much lighter than what I normally see, that's probably a good thing. We liked it enough that we've declared it to be On The List, and we plan to make it with relative frequency.

Next time I want to try using slightly less sherry, and trying some rice vinegar with it. I might give in to the temptation to involve some minor amount of breadcrumbs in the breading process, but I don't know yet. Also I completely spaced on putting garlic in the pan, which I think would have been a nice touch.

No comments: