Monday, August 4, 2008

Three Things

1) While defrosting some chicken this weekend, a bag that I thought I could trust turned out to have a leak, and while I was cheerfully watching Dr. Who, water was seeping in to the bag, resulting in some rather soggy chicken. I've had this happen in the past, and the result this has on the end product's texture is usually pretty gross, but since I was grilling it, I figured I might as well see what happened. I drained the bag, switched to another, finished defrosting, splashed in some teriyaki sauce, left it alone for 20 minutes, and then threw it on the grill. The end result was pretty good - a lot juicier than one would normally expect from chicken so thoroughly grilled, but quite tasty. I don't know if I would care to repeat the experiment, though.

2) Speaking of teriyaki: apples. Seriously. We made marinated kabobs a few weeks ago, which included apples basically on a whim, and the result was fantastic. Then I took what we didn't wind up grilling and threw it in a wok for a while, and that was also fantastic. I wonder if this would work for roasting?

3) I also had occasion to grill a zucchini that was fresh out of the garden (by which I mean we cut it off the plant, washed it, and threw it on the grill). I vented it, poured honey on it, and splashed some garlic on top of that, then wrapped the whole thing in foil. It was good, but I didn't count on just how thick the skin was going to be on this particular plant. Next time I'm going to slice it in half lengthwise, and put the seasoning inside, which will (a) saturate better, I hope, and (b) make it cook faster, which is not something I ever thought would be useful with zucchini, considering.

No comments: