Sunday, August 31, 2008

chai frosting

Because moving always seems to involve people showering me with things from the back of their pantry that's about to expire, I am in possession of a few boxes of cake mix that are not long for this world. On a whim a few nights ago, I decided to make one, and combine it with a theory that we've had for a while. Essentially the theory is this - standard buttercream frosting can be flavored with cocoa during the creation period, so why not use instant chai?

So we did. The end result is not at all unpleasant, although I'm not sure I'd do it again. The flavor is more like the smell of the chai powder than the taste of actual chai. Although it did occur to me later that this results in a caffeinated cake, which may have a certain appeal. I recommend giving it a whirl if you're in to that sort of thing.

No comments: