Sunday, August 31, 2008

bootleg helper

So as we settle in to our new home and try to watch our food expenses and obsess about things like college grades, I'm inclined to remember my broke-ass days of yore, when I could barely manage to boil water and ate SpaghettiOs uncooked straight out of the can. Well, okay, I still do that, but the point is I don't think it's a meal.

Anyway, through the rose tinted glasses that let me view those memories without rupturing blood vessels, I fondly remember how Hamburger Helper would seem like a veritable home-cooked feast. I have no desire whatsoever to eat that filth, but when a recipe from the 'cheapcooking' Yahoo Group came across my inbox, I decided to try it. My end product differed greatly from what the recipe was intended to create, but it was still fairly tasty.

First, I sliced five strips of bacon into bite sized bits and sauteed them. When they were almost done I added chopped carrots, celery, onion, and tomato. This I cooked until the carrots were done, at which point I added ground turkey, and cooked until that was done, then added a lot of paprika, stirred thoroughly, then added ziti and filled the skillet with water. When the ziti was edible, I pronounced it done.

On the whole, it wasn't terrible. The original recipe called for "several inches of water", which would have required a dramatically different bit of cookware (oops!), and created something much more soup-like. This is also one of the rare circumstances where I should have used ground beef instead of turkey, because the flavor would have saturated much better. Still, I dubbed it 'Bootleg Helper'. On the whole it was reasonably food-like and highly nostalgic.

No comments: