Wednesday, December 15, 2010

red lentil soup

Since the other recipe from my Canadian pen-pal was such a success, I decided to give the other a whirl. I fudged this recipe a bit more than usual, largely because I had to go to three different stores to get everything I needed, but oh my yes, do I like the results. Actually, I have two comments on the results:
1. It becomes exponentially better when served over jasmine rice. This might just be my texture preferences, though--I don't think I'm cut out to be a vegetarian.
2. On a related note, I kept thinking this really needed chicken, and I wasn't sure why until I realized I'm pretty sure I've stumbled upon the recipe Cedars uses for their butter chicken. I could be wrong--it's been ten years--but if I had hair on the back of my neck, it would be standing up. I think this is really it. Further experimentation will occur with great haste, I assure you.

Without further ado:
red lentil soup
3 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 tbsp curry powder (I strongly recommend Auntie Arwen's Whirling Dervish)
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped fine (or grated! I need to get a ginger grater)
4 cups vegetable broth (I used some organic mushroom broth, it was awesome)
~6 oz coconut milk
~5 oz tomato paste
1 cup red lentils (dry)

In your soup pot, melt butter, sauté onion, garlic, and carrot.
Add the curry powder, let it work its magic.
Inhale deeply. It smells delightful. Seriously. Enjoy it.
Add ginger, broth, coconut milk, tomato paste. Bring to boil.
Add lentils. Cover & simmer for 20 minutes.
As noted above, I recommend serving over rice, but your mileage may vary.

No comments: