Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ginger maple chicken

A while back I got an email chain letter that proposed a recipe exchange. I thought this was pretty awesome, and it became pretty much the first email chain letter that I passed along. Very few others thought it was awesome, sadly, but I did get this excellent recipe from a Canadian pen-pal (are they still pen-pals if there's no pens involved?). I finally got around to make it last weekend and I was absolutely delighted by the results.

- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of soya sauce
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/3 of flour
- 1 1/4 lb of chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons of oil (I use olive oil, but whichever I guess)

1. Put the oven on - 325 F
2. Cut the chicken in pieces and cover them in flour.
3. In a pan, add the oil and cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes (or until they're golden on all sides).
4. In a bowl, mix the maple syrup, cider vinegar, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, and pepper.
5. Pour the sauce on the chicken and cook in the oven for 5-10 minutes.

Edited 11/13/2010: I can now recommend using almond. I crushed some up and put it in the skillet with the raw chicken and it added a nice texture to the end result. Also, this combination of cider vinegar/soy sauce/maple syrup went very well in a chicken soup that I made a few days later.

2 comments: