Thursday, December 22, 2011

brown sugar cookies


I made these quite some time ago and completely forgot to post them.  I've seen a few dozen sugar cookie recipes floating about lately--'tis the season, after all--and I figured I'd come back with this alternative.  Recipe via Epicurious.

brown sugar cookies
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375.  Cream butter and sugar, add egg.  Combine dry ingredients separately, then add to butter.  Bake 8 to 12 minutes. Let the cookie sheet cool completely between batches.

The only note here is that they aren't kidding when they call for dark brown sugar.  I used light brown, because that's all I had on hand and I was making these on a whim, and it wasn't particularly inspiring.  However, the potential was there; it was obvious what I was missing.  I'd recommend them for a nice fall/winter cookie.

No comments: