Tuesday, December 27, 2011

browned butter shortbread


Some of you may remember my shortbread experiments of the past.  Recently I saw this recipe and figured I'd give it a whirl.  I do need to note that the recipe as I found it told me microwave the butter.  At the risk of making fun of my source, I need to point out that microwaving butter doesn't get you browned butter anything.  Browning butter is a process.  Not a particularly complex one, but a process nonetheless.

With that stated, I give you:

Browned Butter Shortbread
10 tbsp butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch baking pan.  Brown the butter (see link above).  Combine dry ingredients, add the rest.  Now, I have personally never had a shortbread dough turn in to anything but a giant pile of crumbs, but maybe I'm doing it wrong--if your mixture actually forms dough, more power to you.  If not, don't panic.  Just press it into the pan and bake about 30 minutes.

No comments: