Monday, January 17, 2011

buttermilk scones

There isn't a lot of preamble here. These are some nice simple scones. I got the recipe from my father, and I must admit his are usually better than mine, but mine are still reasonably tasty. The only note on this is that you shouldn't let the butter get too soft; since you're cutting it in rather than blending, you're going to want it to stay somewhat chunky.

tea scones
3 cups sifted flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice then fill to 1 cup w/ milk)

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Cut butter into mixture until it resembles course meal. Add raisins.

Gradually add buttermilk and mix until dough clings.

Turn onto floured board and pat into 1/2 inch thick round. Cut and place on greased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Watch closely.

2 comments:

niamh said...

I have been successfully making buttermilk scones for years. I recently tried this recipe and am a big fan. I especially like the detailed description of the dough mixing, which you may find interesting. The final step of cutting them out is now missing for some reason. Just let me know if you want it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/grand-central-bakery-scones-recipe.html

Unknown said...

I tried them. They were very good.